27 February 2013

Imperfection is beauty


“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” - Marilyn Monroe


Beauty has sort of always been an inspiration for art. And we are obsessed about beauty in one form or another. While looking our best undoubtedly makes us feel empowered and confident, it is also a performance for others. My boyfriend recently posed a very poignant question: "why don't women wear makeup when they are just hanging around the house?" Obviously to a certain extent, we dress up or make ourselves up for society. That being said, I think that it is absolutely fabulous to want to look your best. But for me, "looking your best" means embracing your imperfections and enhancing your natural features, not hiding them. Like most women, I would often nitpick about my own physical flaws but after several months of my boyfriend insisting everyday that I am beautiful, he has gotten through to me. (Ladies, find a man/woman who thinks you are the most beautiful person in the world!)

Thus, this post will be about how I enhance what I have and how I have come to accept the my forehead wrinkles, acne scars and uneven eyelids!


My skincare/makeup routine:
1. Start the morning off right with a good cleanser. I use Neutrogena's "Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Cream Cleanser. I chose a "cream cleanser" specifically because winter is very drying for my skin. This cleanser is nice because it doesn't dry out the skin and it leaves a tingly, refreshed feeling.
2. Apply a serum. I use the Roc Multi-Correxion Skin Renewing Serum. This while increase moisture to your skin and fight noticeable signs of aging.
3. Apply a primer before makeup application. I use the Tarte "Clean Slate Poreless 12-Hr Perfecting Primer" which minimizes the appearance of pores and helps the makeup stay in place. I highly recommend this product. 
4. Then, mix a moisturizer with SPF with a BB Cream or foundation. Not only does it help prevent dry patches on your skin but it also looks more natural. You will have a youthful and natural glow. 
5. Define your brows. It will frame your face much better and make you look more youthful and awake. 
6. Eyeshadow is not a must for me but if I do, I usually apply a light color (white, beige) all over and a subtle brown shadow wash on my lids. Find a color that complements your eyes.
7. Eyeliner and masacra are a must. For more awake eyes, try lining your bottom waterline with a white liner and also using it on the inner corners of your eyes. For the top, use a black liner as close to the lashes as possible for a enlarging but  subtle effect.
8. Apply bronzer or blush (or both) in an upward motion towards your ears. Subtlety is the key here. 
9. Moisturize your lips with a good lip balm that contains shea butter. Finally, I like to use a lip stain like Clinique's "Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm" for a subtle hint of color.
10. At night, I like to take off my makeup with an oil-based cleanser. I use one from the famous Shu Uemura cleansing oil collection. It leaves your skin so soft and clean and though it is expensive, it lasts a long time and is completely worth it.


The completed look will be one you can wear everyday and will enhance your features without hiding your true face. Be beautiful and confident everyday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment